Friday, May 4, 2012

Expressing Opinions

Mark Twain once wrote “I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts. Being one of the most promising writers in literary history, Mark Twain describes himself as an open-minded individual whose opinions may contradict truth, but continues to be the opinionated person he is. Opinions aren’t wrong, but are limited by those who are afraid of challenging “facts.” When making an opinion, make it one that is unique-although there must be some truth behind it- and engaging to one’s mind. Keep a firm grasp of what the opinion may be. Opinions can vary from being very rational to just absurd. Having to be manipulated by thoughts of the highly-regarded “others”, creativity is concealed within the minds of the general public which will soon become hesitant in openly-speaking against them. These open-minded people should stop being so intimidated in speaking aloud and share their thoughts on serious social topics. People don’t need expertise in a specific area in order to contribute several solutions to a given problem. Ignorant at first, these people would just send a barrage of ideas which can actually make matters worse. Facts are indeed needed when it involves problem solving, but the facts shouldn’t confine the creative thoughts of minds which are proposing solutions. Ideally, a person with expertise in a specific area is needed, but only if he is willing to allow insight with other-more spontaneous-solutions. The mind shouldn’t be limited to what is should be thinking. The mind wanders and can solicit many ideas, helpful or not. Many unorthodox ways of doing certain tasks arose due to the individuals who are similar to Mark Twain; the individuals who proposed unique perspectives and resolutions to a given assignment. Many of history’s greatest thinkers & writers were those who have voiced opinions in their own, philosophical way. Some might have been granted the opportunity and had their opinions turn into facts themselves. The number of free -thinking individuals is increasing, but the strive for voicing opinionated-responses diminished. Is it because facts seem to be oppressive against opinions, or is it because people just don’t feel like an opinion from one person matters? To voice your own opinion now seems to be a common misconception because there aren’t too many who are willing to express themselves in this manner. Opinions are repressed from being voiced due to facts; facts that haven’t allowed too much open discussion. In an era of free-minded individuals, people shouldn’t have this feeling of intimidation and offer their opinions. Although they may not be widely-accepted, a sense of contribution will emerge and at least one mind can be influenced.

8 comments:

  1. Definately a good blog!
    I love your tone and attitude! I really got into it.I love how you used mark twain's quote and supported in such a fluent manner.

    I also liked your last senetence that the contribution will emerge and at least one mind can be influenced becuase that is tottaly true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian!
    I really enjoyed reading this. I like that you ask questions through out keeping the reader more intrigued to continue reading. It really states your own opinion on what you believe the importance of speaking your mind is. I want to say I agree with your post especially your last sentence,” Although they may not be widely-accepted, a sense of contribution will emerge and at least one mind can be influenced". Why? Because you really create and understanding that just because one person doesn’t have the same perspective as you doesn’t mean no one will. Just as you said by speaking out mad expressing your thoughts you will be able to influence at least one mind to do the same.

    Great Job! Love your post. Keep Posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sophisticated use of language Brian. That's what grasped my attention the most within your post. I agree with your statement, " The mind shouldn’t be limited to what it should be thinking. The mind wanders and can solicit many ideas, helpful or not." I believe we shouldn't have to abide by the social norm or other's common thoughts, but be frivolous and fear no limits of the mind! In otherwords people should want to think out of the box. Radical post Brian. Thank you for giving me something else to contemplate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian! HI. I liked your post home boy! It was really good! And I agree with you, more opinions need to expressed, but they shouldn’t be those absolute absurd ones people say. You expressed what you thought in a really brilliantly! I liked how you asked questions throughout your post, it made you really think. So great job! Oh yeah and p.s your blogs pretty. Okay bye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian, I liked your blog it was very intresting and well organized. I agree with you that people should express their opinions and ideas on things because it has the ability to touch somebody in the world. I also disagree though because opinions can be dangerous if a person identifies with these opinions and belieaves them to be fact which can lead to trouble down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all i can say is wow. the diction and context of your post, captured my attention. I agree with you, when you stated how people are no longer open minded with their opinions. I also like how you put quotation marks around the words facts and others. It implies extra emphasis on these words, that most people do not pay any attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sup Brian, love the post. Theres so many narrow minded people in the world, its just irritating. People need to open their minds and think more like you do. More opinions need to be expressed and people really need to lower their level of ignorance. I like your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey brian! This blog passage was awesome and truly inspirational. The quote itself says many thing but you couldn't have identified it better. I like the way you gave people advise and showed how they could improve. Because many people are so narrow minded and just ignorant. Great passage, awesome advice and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete